In the final term of Year 6, the children and members of staff spend an exciting week in the Norfolk Countryside at Manor Farm. We leave on Monday morning and return on Thursday afternoon, ensuring four days of exhilarating activities.
There are 5 activity sessions during the day, including Archery, Rifle Shooting, Caving, Paddle Boarding, Sailing, and Rock Climbing. All activities undertaken are under the close supervision of trained staff and our own teachers. The trip offers a unique opportunity for pupils to build new friendships, make their own decisions and develop high levels of self-esteem. Even the least confident pupils finish the week having a huge sense of accomplishment. The center is boosted by excellent accommodation, catering, and an idyllic setting next to the lakes.
Cookery at DPA
At DPA, we firmly believe that cooking with children has great educational and health benefits. We recognise the importance of teaching children life skills to become successful, independent adults through learning key skills such as food hygiene and storage, safety in the kitchen, food preparation and cooking.
Our cookery enrichment is woven within our transdisciplinary curriculum, inspiring pupils to take a ‘hands on’ approach to their learning. Our popular after-school Cooking Club allows further opportunities for pupils to show off their new skills and recipes.
Throughout the academic year we include several opportunities to perform in front of an audience. These include:
- Harvest – Focusing on being thankful for all we have, the children recite poetry they have learnt by heart using appropriate expression to engage the audience. They enjoy the fascination of learning about themselves and how cultures around the world celebrate.
- Christmas – The pupils focus on celebrating together through choreographed performances and singing in unison as they explore the nativity story and cultural traditions at this time of year.
- Easter – Pupils learn about how Easter is celebrated around the world. They prepare their own factual pieces and each has the opportunity to read a section on their own if they wish to. Pupils also perform a range of songs in unison and use sign language to communicate the meaning.
- Summer Concerts – The pupils perform a variety of songs to celebrate all that has been achieved in the year.
- Pride Assemblies – Celebrating what your child has achieved and collectively recognising it.
To support our formal curriculum and the delivery of the national curriculum through the PYP framework, we also enjoy themed events to promote areas that maybe not covered fully in your child’s formal education.
Our themes to enjoy this year are:
- Roald Dahl Day – enjoying literacy and the love of reading.
At Dartford Primary Academy we had great fun celebrating Roald Dahl day on 13th September. The children were able to take part in several activities which helped them celebrate Roald Dahl’s birthday. They started the day by being dressed up as their favourite characters and they all looked fantastic! They then took part in reading, drama and art activities based around their year group’s chosen book and some of these included; making dream catchers, retelling the story with puppets and creating posters for a window cleaning business. Finally they created a new character of their own who would help Matilda defeat Miss Trunchbull and thought about the attributes the character might have. We all had a great day and the children loved listening to new stories!
- Academy Council – promoting democracy and the voting process. Building confidence in public speaking
- Black History Month – creating an awareness of how Caribbean and African communities have impacted our past and future generations. Promoting cultural diversity and celebration of black culture
- World Mental Health Day – helping to raise awareness for children and their families the importance of well being and mental health support.
- Anti Bullying Week – Promoting positive attitudes and kindness to others. Ensuring children know there is no place for bullying
- Road Safety – Ensuring your child has the awareness and skills to keep safe on increasingly busy roads
- Promoting Parliament week – ensuring your every child has an understanding of British democracy and their role within it.
- Celebrating cultural celebrations – Christian celebrations such as Easter and Christmas, Diwali – Festival of Light, Chinese New Year and other key cultural celebrations will be covered to promote tolerance and cultural diversity.
- Recycling Week – Exploring our planet and how we can have a real impact on saving the planet.
- Fairtrade Fortnight – Children will understand the importance of fair trade and consumer choices. Being able to make informed decisions as they move into adulthood.
- Shakespeare Week – Understanding the importance of a great British literary talent. Reading and exploring the world of Shakespeare’s stories.
- Whilst not an exhaustive list of our themes, it gives an insight to how we seek to develop our children cultural capital and their awareness of others around them.
At DPA, we believe that PE and sport play an integral part in supporting our children to challenge themselves. Not only does being active help to keep bodies healthy, but it enables mental well-being and happiness too.
At DPA we:
- Join different extracurricular clubs throughout the school year such as netball, football, basketball and badminton.
- Invite specialist sports coaches to enhance our provision e.g. Dartford Football Club.
- Compete in inter-house activities
- Learn to swim in Key stage two usually in Year 4 with the opportunity to go swimming for a second time in Year 6 to ensure that children reach their 25 metres.
- Give children many opportunities to represent the school in external competitions
- Take part in a whole school fitness challenge each term. For example, we have taken part in a whole school London Marathon.
- Complete a broad and balanced curriculum across a range of sports, including disability sports such as goalball and seated volleyball.
Read more about what sports we partake in on the Academy Sports page below!