Welcome to Year 2
Regular reading at home will hugely support your child’s progress. Read for 10 minutes each day and make a little note in their reading record book. If you are short on time you could just draw a quick smiley face. There is a huge focus in Year 2 on children having a high level of understanding of what they read. Please ask your child lots of questions about the book. For example:
- What do you think might happen next?
- What do you like about this book?
- Does this book remind you of any others you have read?
- What do you think about this character and why?
- What kind of story is this?
- Can you find any describing words on this page?
- Why do you think the author has used these words?
- Can you spot any features to tell you that this is an information book?
- If you could change anything about the book, what would it be and why?
- Can you think of an alternative ending for the story?
Some children are a bit rusty with their number writing after the holidays. Practise writing numbers up to 100 and beyond (if your child is confident with 0-100).
We have been practicing counting in 2s, 3s, 5s and 10s. Once your child is confident with this, start learning the 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
Help your child expand their vocabulary by encouraging them to describe lots of things around them when they are out and about. Using a thesaurus to look up new words is a great way to help them be more adventurous with their vocabulary choices.